Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 24: South Dakota...Not Pee Friendly

Cant believe some of the stuff that I have forgotten to write about, as well as everything that has happened this past day. Yesterday was my boy Chad's 21st birthday party. Nothing to exciting, we took him out to a bar, bought him a few drinks and he got hit on by a 45 year old swedish masseuse. Sweet! He woke up this morning looking surprisingly good and not hungover. However when I hit a rest stop at miles marker 60 today, I was informed that he was 3 and a half hours behind me...I guess hes a pretty good actor.

The route today was very similar to yesterday. Flat land with a head wind and heat. Nothing much to look at aside from farmland. Me and my riding mates (some were female Nana), ran into a very nice railroad worker who talked with us about our trip and the midwest railroad system. Pretty interesting stuff. Apparently a train derailed a week ago over the Mississippi sending the whole train into the water. Scary.

Unfortunately ive had a sore throat since yesterday. I think the lack of sleep and biking isnt helping it very much. I ate a tin of "Daily-C" and that seems to be helping. Im hoping that by the time I go to bed tonight that everything will be feeling better. Biking with a sore throat is not very fun.

Now to explain my blog title for the day. When you are biking cross country, you go when you gotta go. Most of the time youre lucky enough to be by a bathroom when you have to take a leak, but thats not always the case. One of our riders, who will remain nameless, was on a stretch without services for 40 miles. He had to take a pee, so like and endurance cyclist on this trip and in their right mind, he pulled off to the side of the interstate to go. Right as he was relieving himself, a highway patrol officer happened to roll by. He slammed on his brakes and backed up. "Son, I dont suppose you noticed the restroom 20 miles back?" "Yeah I did, I went there and have got three times since then!" "You know I could ticket you for indecent exposure in public?" "I dont know what to tell you." "If I decide to give you a ticket, you are required by South Dakota law to register as a sex offender. How do you like that?" This went on for a while, but luckily the cop let him off the hook and he didnt have to register as a sex offender.

Im off to clean my bike and take a nap. I hope everyone is doing well. I look forward to seeing everyone I can when I hit minneapolis on friday. Take care.

Until then,
-Ride Hard

1 comment:

Jolene said...

oh Reuben... I think about you all the time and wonder how you are doing. I can only imagine what you are learning about yourself, others and this country! I am so amazed and proud!! I hope to see you on Friday... although, I don't know how! You are supposed to stop in Viroqua coop if you can! Much love to you! ~ j.ditty